Tuesday, August 5, 2014

#RPGaDay Part 1 - One to Ten

I don't always have the freedom to post once a day, so I'm going to have to knock out the blog roll topic in 3 posts.

Still have my books from 1979-ish
1) First RPG Played - I posted about this very topic over a month back. I think it's a funny read so check it out. I'll wait.

For those who want to skip the gamer story, my brother started me out with OD&D (white box) sort of... But that incident doesn't really count. I really learned how to play with a combination of the Holmes blue book and the AD&D Player's Handbook. I consider AD&D my first RPG because we really weren't playing the Holmes rules.

2) First RPG Game Mastered - While I am almost certain I DM'd for some of my friends at an early age, I remember almost nothing from those pre-teen AD&D games. I have a vague recollection of running part of X2 Castle Amber, but 30 year old memories are not coming easily to the surface.


The first one I truly remember was running a very short-lived GURPS game in college. It did not go well. I did almost everything wrong with a table of people who weren't convinced they wanted to play GURPS in any case.

3) First RPG Purchased - My parents bought most of my gaming books for me when I was a pre-teen with no money of my own. AD&D, Gamma World, Top Secret, Marvel Super Heroes and Car Wars were among the first I owned. GURPS was probably the first one I actually purchased with my own money** later in life.

** Sort of... I was in college, so it was still mostly Dad's money.

4) Most Recent RPG Purchased - Technically, D&D 5th Edition Starter Set... but I'm going to disqualify that at the moment since I already "own" D&D in almost every variation. Mouse Guard is probably the newest non-D&D rule set I've bought along with Savage Worlds.

5) Most Old School RPG Owned - I still have my brother's copy of the D&D white box along with the original Greyhawk supplement. Can't get much older than that.

6) Favorite RPG I Never Get To Play - Mouse Guard (currently out of print, but 2nd edition coming soon!)

7) Most "Intellectual" RPG - I downloaded a copy of FATE, but I don't consider it "owned" until I try it out and kick a few bucks over to Evil Hat (which everyone should). I don't own any of those story-stick "indie" games.

8) Favorite Character - I made a Gnome Druid in Pathfinder that I had a really deep background for. Unfortunately, the DM didn't pick up on any hooks in the background I provided and the campaign turned urban and I really didn't get the opportunity to play this character the way I wanted.

9) Favorite Dice - I'm not as dice obsessed as some, but I do like my Game Science d20s (sapphire and emerald colors). I'm less concerned about the other dice (non-d20's) being "precision" dice, so I have a mix of swirly pearlescent colors in red, blue and green.

10) Favorite Fiction Tie-In - Even good D&D fiction is not much better than "meh". I think the prize has to go to Mouse Guard for the amazing comic that originated it.

Stay tuned for the next installment... 11 through 20.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...